Government agencies are making ‘extraordinary progress’ on zero trust, says federal CIO
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) oversees the implementation of the President’s priorities across the executive branch. One of them is the digital modernization of federal agencies, with the goals of increased security, cost savings, efficiency, and a better experience for Americans who interact with government. Federal Chief Information Officer Clare Martorana is leading these efforts.
- Martorana said agencies are making “extraordinary progress” in implementing Zero Trust Architecture, a component of modernization, but they are only at the beginning of the journey. She said the OMB is working with the agencies to ensure they have technical teams in place to implement the federal zero-trust strategy, which includes input from universities, the private sector and government.
- Martorana said his team is working with the National Director of Cybersecurity, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), National Security Agency (NSA), Chief Information Officers and Chief Information Security Officers to prioritize cybersecurity.
- She said the OMB has a unique whole-of-government role in working with agencies on cybersecurity, IT modernization and budgets.
- Martorana said the Technology Modernization Fund (TMF), which received additional funding from the American Rescue Plan Act in 2021, is “really exciting” and acting as a catalyst.
- Martorana commented on the government data, saying the OMB is working to better use data to improve Americans’ customer experience while ensuring privacy and security.
- She said the government is using human-centered design and some agencies have done journey mapping in implementing President Biden’s Customer Experience Executive Order.
- There are multiple efforts across government to increase recruitment of IT jobs, such as the US Digital Corps, Presidential Innovation Fellows and Technology Transformation Services, Martorana said, noting that there is “some fatigue “in the workforce.